Traffic police inundate BMC with letters on unfinished road projects

URL: http://www.mumbaimirror.com/mumbai/civic/Traffic-police-inundate-BMC-wit...

Traffic police inundate BMC with letters on unfinished road projects

 

The glacial pace at which the BMC executes its projects, going by massive dug-up stretches of road in South Mumbai lying unattended for months on end, has prompted traffic cops to send a flurry of letters to the civic body.

Infuriated by the pending projects contributing to the area's traffic snarl, the traffic police have complained about a number of projects which are being carried out at a snail's pace by contractors.

The traffic police's main concern is pertaining to a few crucial roads in South Mumbai: Bhulabhai Desai Road, St Hughes Road, Gol Masjid and Princess Street. The BMC has undertaken projects like concretization, repairs and construction of storm water drains, and laying of sewage lines on many important roads. According to sources in the traffic police, the top brass recently had a couple of meetings with the BMC about roads where work was being delayed without any reason.

"We are majorly concerned with some important stretches that were dug up, which are yet to be resurfaced. Some of these are arterial roads, and because of the construction, they too are getting as clogged as the main roads they are connected to," said a senior traffic police official, adding that situation was similar in the western and eastern suburbs as well.

In a letter to the BMC chief engineer (road and traffic) date April 15, the traffic police had raised serious concerns about work on Bhulabhai Desai Road, complaining that the work was going on at asnail's pace, triggering a traffic jam all the way to Atria Mall. The letter also said that despite traffic officials asking contractors to expedite the work, little improvement had been noticed.

Traffic divisions too have been sending letters to the BMC, reminding them about the dug-up roads in their jurisdiction. "Work on stretches like St Hughes Road and Princess Street have been slowing down traffic considerably. Since motorists find traffic cops standing on the road, they abuse them for chaos," said another traffic cop.

"The number of vehicles on the roads is swelling and to top that, the roads have been dug up completely or partially, leaving lesser space for vehicle movement, creating bottlenecks and making managing traffic extremely difficult," said Joint Commissioner Traffic Dr BK Upadhyay.

Upadhyay added that they have expressed apprehensions through letters to BMC about the problems they will face if the work isn't completed before monsoons. "We understand that the BMC needs to do this work. They have been assuring us that they will complete all remaining work by May 31 and we are hoping the same," he said.

 

 

When contacted, BMC Chief Engineer for Roads, S Pawar, said, "We are working in coordination with the traffic police. We will ensure that all trenches will be closed before May 25 and no roads will be dug up after May 31. By this time, we will have completed 75 per cent of the road work. The remaining 25 per cent will be taken up post monsoons."

Date of Article: 
Saturday, May 3, 2014
Source: 
Mumbai Mirror